Nόμπελ Λογοτεχνίας για το 2007 στην 88-άχρονη πλέον Doris Lessing. Επιτέλους! Δεν θα σας ζαλίσω με το τι και πώς, απλώς θα παραθέσω μερικά από τα πιο γνωστά της λόγια. Αν βρείτε βιβλίο της, διαβάστε το. Ειδικά παλαιότερο. Και τοποθετήστε το στην εποχή που τα έγραφε - κάτι γνωστές μεταφεμινίστριες μου φαίνονται όλο μαλλί κι ιδέα, όταν αυτή η γυναίκα μιλούσε τότε γι'αυτά που μόλις ακουμπάμε σήμερα...
* A simple grateful thought turned heavenwards is the most perfect prayer.
* Any human anywhere will blossom in a hundred unexpected talents and capacities simply by being given the opportunity to do so.
* Borrowing is not much better than begging; just as lending with interest is not much better than stealing.
* I don't know much about creative writing programs. But they're not telling the truth if they don't teach, one, that writing is hard work, and, two, that you have to give up a great deal of life, your personal life, to be a writer.
* If a fish is the movement of water embodied, given shape, then cat is a diagram and pattern of subtle air.
* In university they don't tell you that the greater part of the law is learning to tolerate fools.
* It is terrible to destroy a person's picture of himself in the interests of truth or some other abstraction.
* It is the mark of great people to treat trifles as trifles and important matters as important.
* Literature is analysis after the event.
* Man, who is he? Too bad, to be the work of God: Too good for the work of chance!
* Pleasure resorts are like film stars and royalty... embarrassed by the figures they cut in the fantasies of people who have never met them.
* Small things amuse small minds.
* Some people obtain fame, others deserve it.
* There is only one real sin and that is to persuade oneself that the second best is anything but second best.
* Think wrongly, if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.
* Trust no friend without faults, and love a woman, but no angel.
* We use our parents like recurring dreams, to be entered into when needed.
* What is a hero without love for mankind.
* What's terrible is to pretend that second-rate is first-rate. To pretend that you don't need love when you do; or you like your work when you know quite well you're capable of better.
Διαβάστε σχετικό ρεπορτάζ στους New York Times.